Friday, November 7, 2008

At Home in Obama Central


By Victoria Thomas
My first time voting was very exciting. I went to several different polling places with my mom, who is an elected official for the City of Chicago. Although her election day began at 3 a.m. to make sure the polls in her ward were ready for the day to come, I joined her much later at 10 a.m. We went to a local polling place, where I cast my vote. Since this was my first time voting. I was excited that I had some say in who would be our country's leader.

Going from one polling to place to another, observing the surroundings, you could feel the excitement yet seriousness that was in the air. People were making comments to the polling judges such as, "OK, explain this to me, because I can't mess this up." Outside each polling place, there was at least one person saying, “Go Obama!" It was clear that Tuesday in Chicago was Obama central.

Having attended the same school as Barack Obama's children and with my mom being in politics for 15 years, I have been familiar with the Obama family for a while. I did not realize the impact he was making across America and the world until he began his election campaign. Just three years ago, I was listening to the senator talk to the community about running for president and trying to win votes; now he is going to be making decisions that affect America and the world. Being from Chicago and to actually know Obama, one cannot help but to feel an overwhelming amount of pride, inspiration and excitement for President-elect Obama.

Politics in Chicago has always been the most talked about matter among Chicagoans, hence our nickname, "the Windy City." Chances are, if you’re from Chicago, you’re pretty familiar with politics. But since Obama began his run for president, many people wanted to part of his campaign. After 2005, it was a big accomplishment to be working on the Obama campaign.

As soon as various polls came out about how close Obama and Sen. John McCain were in this election, I decided that I wanted to vote in Illinois. I wanted to experience Chicago during crunch time for the election, and I am so happy I made the decision to come home. Celebrating an election for someone you know and someone you have spoken to is so exciting and unbelievable. In January, I can honestly say that I know the president of the United States!

Victoria Thomas with Will.I.Am of the Black Eyed Peas (top) at President-Elect Barack Obama's victory celebration at Grant Park in downtown Chicago. Earlier on Election Day, Victoria attended a watch party hosted by Illinois Senate President Emil Jones Jr., D-Chicago, in a suite at the Hilton & Towers across from Grant Park. Jones is considered Obama's political grandfather and gave the president-elect key assignments when he was a state senator.

No comments: