Saturday, November 8, 2008

First-Time Voters Blog About Experience

By Alexis Cook

There is widespread agreement that this election cycle represents an historic landmark in American history, because of the potential election of an African-American president or a female vice president.

But, for one group of voters, Nov. 4, 2008, has its own significance. It marks the first time that these Americans have stepped into a voting booth, and many have memorialized the experience online.

Blog sites such as Hotair.com have received numerous posts from first-time voters, ranging from funny to serious.

One writer, “CSM126,” posted: “I took a very pleasant walk to my polling place as soon as it opened (6 a.m.) to cast my vote for McCain/Palin. I definitely couldn’t let living in solid Blue NY keep me down. This is my first time being eligible to vote for president and it was an exciting thing to do. Fingers crossed!”

“SKYFOX” wrote: “This will be my 19 year old daughter’s first vote. Strong pro-life, strong second amendment (pretty good shot)… I have not asked her who she will vote for but I’m confident she will do the ‘right’ thing.”

Some of the first-time voters were immigrants, and they, too, posted comments. “Thomasaur” wrote: “My wife will be voting in her first Presidential Election (naturalized in 2004). She is from Canada so it took a while to explain conservatism American style. She was liberal when we met but it was due to the fact she was uninformed. She is so excited that we are in CO and her vote could swing things. VOTE.”

No comments: